Monday, May 22, 2006

Disappointing Four Star Restaurants

I love food. I may be a skinny little bitch but I eat like a champion food eater. I can outeat most men. Thus, I like to go to restaurants. A lot. Because I can't cook to save my life. I frequent my favorite restaurants often but I try to hit one or two new restaurants a week. I really like New York food but I have to admit that the food is much better in Europe. *sigh* I think the food in New York gets worse year after year. Low end to mid priced food is OK but it doesn't have the flavor of that grouchy guy in the neighborhood making you your favorite dish and snuggling up with the kitten on the counter. I love that special made with love quality! Or maybe it's the lack of fresh food as I have to admit that even the food in San Francisco is better. And celebrity chefs are always looking for something that makes people go ga-ga but they don't pay as much attention to the taste. I don't give a fuck about presentation. Give me the real thing! Or barring that, give me something fried. I guess they are looking for a way to present artwork that can be eaten and a high enough price to keep the riff raff out.

I made reservations for Daniel last weekend for my anniversary. The service was impeccable but the food was....eh. For a dinner that came out to more than $300, I was expecting more than just eh but we pay for the reputation, right? I find that when it comes down to it, most fancy restaurants cannot compare to really well made pigs in a blanket (so good!) or Totino's pizza rolls!!! I guess I have proleteriat tastes but I'm proud of it! There's a reason why this stuff sells!

I'm always open to revising my opinions so I have made a reservation for Jean Georges next month. Hopefully, they will serve better food. I'm also diligently calling to get reservations at Per Se but no luck. I figure I will get through one of these days. The only expensive restaurant which was really worth it in my culinary experience was Bouley. The food is fantastic! Other than that, I have never really had a memorable experience with high end French restaurants.

Nobu reminds me of certain meals my mother cooks which are great but not so special when you can just have your mom make it at home and save the $300 dinner tab. From just randomly picking new restaurants, I listed my favorites below:

- Grace - Pulled Duck Sandwich
- Shopshin - Half an order of Mac n' Cheese Pancakes with Sausage Walnut Hash
- Peter Luger's - Steak and Creamed Spinach
- Gray's Papaya - Recession Special
- Basso Est - Pasta!
- Dekk - Garlic Bread with Pesto
- Bouley - Whatever they have
- Tea & Sympathy - Welsh Rarebit with Tea
- Queen of Sheba - Vegetarian Ethiopian
- Agave - Brunch
- Grimaldi's - Pizza
- John's Pizzeria - Pizza
- Gallo Nero - Special gnocchi if they have it
- Blue Gans - Weiner Schnitzel
- Aki - Chef's Choice
- Moran's Restaurant - Seafood
- Assenzio - Gnocchi
- Bruxelles - Fries
- Nathan's Hot Dogs - Hot Dogs

This is really a quick list as I just typed what came to me at the spur of the moment but it's a good list to get started on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Father Bill Haymaker said...

Sorry, I'm not trying to be verbose...I'm just a hopeless romantic and someone who LOVES food! Instead of the £300 meal in Manhattan, take Amtrack to Boston and dine at Legal Seafoods and spend the night at the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton..and do a trip to the Aquarium and Haymarket! It's just so much more fun to stretch the bounds of your imaqination! But keep up the food critiques....I'm interested!
+Fr Bill

6/16/2006 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home