Monday, June 12, 2006

TriBurbia

Weird. I was just talking about how Tribeca was turning into Stroller City and this article just came out in the New York Sun. They went a little bit further and coined a new phrase but the intent was still the same. Where are all these little kiddies popping out from? What happened to the Tribeca I knew?

I remember back in the day when Tribeca was pretty bare. Not many people lived down here and there were a couple of copy shops, weird construction stores and a wonderful Science Fiction, Mysteries & More bookshop on the corner of Chambers and West Broadway. There wasa pretty good McDonalds on the corner of Greenwich and Chambers that went out of business recently. I'm not sure why as I think they would have had a rock solid business with the BMCC (Borough Manhattan Community College), Stuyvesant High School, PS 234 and PS 150 right next to them. There was also a deli where the Wireless Telephone store used to be next to the former McDonald's. Why are these stores going out of business on Chambers Street? I'm convinced that there is a curse or the management is charging way too much rent.

One of my favorite places that went out of business had to be the Pennsylvania Pretzel Company. They occupied the space where Sale & Pepe are right now across the street from the now defunct McDonald's. The PPF was pretty popular and served the best pretzels. They clearly got the most customers. I have always been curious as to why they went out of business. I fear that Sale & Pepe are not long in the offing. I tried their sandwiches and the sandwiches were awful. I will be glad to see them gone.

Oh, Tribeca. At least they haven't built across the river. Yet.... I fear the day that we will be connected to Jersey City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home